COM 1450-03

Monday, February 18, 2019

Should you track your Macros?

Counting Macros has been a very popular trend nowadays in the health and fitness world. The question is, is it really the right decision for your health? I put together a small pros and cons list of why i think it could/couldn't be helpful.

Pros:

  • You have complete control 
  • You know whats going into your body and you can track how your body feels on different levels of macronutrients 
  • You know what your body will need in its next meal. More protein? More carbs?
  • You can use this to help you stay motivated in eating well in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle

Cons:
  • Its hard to make counting nutrients a lifestyle. Your body changes and the amount of calories needed can change. 
  • You become obsessed with the numbers. 
  • Food and eating becomes stressful. What if you eat a meal that you don't know what's exactly in it?
  • Food is always on your mind. Whats the next meal?, Can I afford a cheat meal?, etc 
  • You eat what you're eating because you have to and dieting becomes a numbers game. 

Back in high school when i was a gym rat I decided one day to start counting calories. At the time, this was an easy diet to maintain because i was either at school or at work so i made my meals ahead of time. I'd weigh out EVERYTHING on a little food scale before preparing and distributing into containers. It eventually became exhausting just simply using the scale and entering all of the numbers into my food tracking app. Even when I'd go out to eat i'd make sure my app had the restaurants menu's nutrient facts, otherwise i wouldn't go. I ended this ridiculous diet because my stomach was constantly rumbling and i never felt fully energized. 

I don't regret this phase though. I ended up learning a lot about health and how my body worked on certain amount of nutrients. This diet didn't work for me but i do know others that loved it! Everyones preferences are different. When i cook a meal i typically think to myself "how can i add this healthy fat into this meal?" I personally think it's important to find a way to add a healthy amount of every macro nutrient into your meals. 

Everyone thrives off of different eating styles so at the end of the day, its really up to you. If you think tracking your macros will help you achieve a goal then do so. But don't push your body to limits it can't go to or feel guilty about eating. Healthy eating should be enjoyable and delicious not something that brings you anxiety. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Working as a Regional Marketing Coordinator Remotely

For the past 18 months I have been working as a regional marketing coordinator for my dads family business, Sport Clips Haircuts. Sport Cli...